Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The Primer

I suppose I knew that all literature could be traced back to sacred texts, but I had never really considered the progression from one to the other. The connection between the Book of Hours and the Primer was not one I had ever made or been told about. My mother is a church goer and a fairly devout person, although her focus is on works rather than prayer. On the other hand, my father is an atheist. They respect each other's beliefs and there was never a religious quarrel between them, but I think they compromised by teaching "salvation" through reading literature- secular or otherwise. So I suppose literature is a kind of religion for us, one that ties my family together far more extensively than any codified religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home