Thursday, December 02, 2004

Paper ideas...

I emailed Dr. Sexson on my topic for my paper: The musical cult figure as seen in The PIed Piper of Hamlin and The Beatles, but I'm really just not that tied to it... I've been thinking that if I am to do this topic, I'll have to change the band to The Doors, but I'm more interested in doing a structuralist reading of Howard Pyle's "Golden Hair and The Great Black Raven" which is basically fairy tale melange. Bits and pieces from EVERYWHERE. The author even refers to going up into Time's attic and finding bits and pieces no one was using, particularly the "Wonder Clock" of te volume's title. Or as Terry Pratchett states of the Indo-European turtle/elephant world foundations he found, "languishing in the woodpile of myth for centuries. It was a simple thing to grab it and run before the alarms went off." I like the idea that an excellent fairy tale, completely original in as much as ANY fairy tale is completely original, can be made up of random cuts off the fairy tale carcas. The only really necessary parts are the "once upon a time" and the "happily ever after". Almost any sequence of events will do for the in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home